We LOVE Kiwis in our house! They make it into a smoothie or onto a snack plate almost everyday! Great news is they are #42 out of 48 on the EWG’s Shopper’s Guide which means you don’t HAVE to buy organic, always nice!
Have you ever just picked a kiwi up an bitten into it? Give it a try because you actually can eat the skin! Eating the skin TRIPLES the fiber, and preserves most of the Vitamin C. My kids even like the skin, whole or sliced, and that means less work for me!
Kiwis are also great frozen. Cut into little pieces they are similar to eating frozen grapes. When my kiwis start to turn bad I cut them into fourths and freeze them for smoothies.
This really is a simple, yet powerful fruit, to incorporate into your daily diets! ADDED BONUS, also a great low carb choice with a glycemic index of 52.
Everything you need to know about a kiwi from KiwiFruit.Org:
Kiwifruit is one of nature’s perfect foods: low in calories, high in energy and an excellent source of antioxidants. Each one delivers a world of nutrition benefits, including:
- Vitamin C: Each serving of kiwifruit has nearly two-and-a-half times the recommended daily allowance of vitamin C, proven to boost the immune system and fight the effects of stress and aging.
- No fat: Kiwifruit is fat-free, an important consideration in today’s healthy diets and a rarity among foods containing so many other nutritional benefits.
- Fiber: Two kiwifruit contain more fiber than a bowl of bran cereal, the tasty way to maintain heart health, regular digestion and lower cholesterol.
- Potassium: A serving of California Kiwifruit has more potassium than a banana, ideal for maintaining fluid and electrolyte balance and for releasing energy during exercise.
- Antioxidants: Kiwifruit is an excellent source of antioxidants which are important in reducing your risk of cancer, heart disease and stroke.
- Low glycemic index: With a glycemic index of 52, kiwifruit is a fat-free, low-carb fruit that’s safe for diabetics and a smart part of any weight-loss diet.
- Magnesium: Two kiwifruit deliver 30 mg of magnesium, which improves nerve and muscle function while boosting your energy level.
- Lutein: Kiwifruit contains the phytochemical lutein, which works to prevent age-related blindness and protect eyes from various kinds of damage.
- Folate: With nearly 10% of the recommended daily value of folate, kiwifruit is a good way to protect the health of mother and baby during pregnancy while helping prevent birth defects.
- Zinc: Men will appreciate kiwifruit’s zinc content, which helps produce testosterone, while everyone can enjoy its other benefits like healthy hair, skin, teeth and nails.
- Vitamin E: Kiwifruit is one just a handful of fat-free sources of vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant that helps lower cholesterol and boost immunity.